IN THIS ISSUE: OCTOBER/NOVEMBER 2016
DCRC Special Issue: The Big Picture in Dementia Research
This is the second of two special issues of AJDC showcasing the work of the Dementia Collaborative Research Centres.
- The Big Picture Journey of Firsts in Dementia Research
- The DementiaKT Hub: translating research into practice|
Belinda Goodenough and Tracy Higgins introduce The DementiaKT Hub – a new one-stop online destination for the latest research-based dementia resources involving DCRC expertise. Read it here!
- New resource helps hospitals focus on the person with dementia: Read it here!
- Viewing art brings ‘in the moment’ pleasure
A recent evaluation of the Art and Dementia program at the Art Gallery of NSW shows that viewing art brings ‘in the moment’pleasure for people with dementia, as well as opportunities for storytelling, reminiscence and conversation
- Sustaining the success of person-centred dementia care
Not-for-profit aged care provider Eldercare completed the implementation of its Dementia Excellence Program at 12 residential facilities across the greater Adelaide and Yorke Peninsula regions earlier this year
- BPSD: alternative understanding of a well-accepted term
Christine Bryden gives a brief overview of BPSD and, from the perspective of a person living with dementia, proposes an experiential understanding of the acronym to prompt improved responses by caregivers to these non-verbal communications
Also in this issue
- The story of dementia: Faith Gibson and Pam Schweitzer 8
John Killick continues his series exploring the history of dementia through the stories of individuals
- Allies in care: optimising life with dementia 10
Jacqueline Wesson, Jamie Hallen, Atosha Clancy and Glen Pang explain the positive contribution allied health professionals can make to the lives of people with dementia, their carers and families, and introduce two new guides for health professionals and consumers